Slippery when wet. A simple sign can make a difference. It can help prevent accidents at work. What are the effective ways on how to prevent Slips, Trips and Falls?
Some causes of Slips, Trips and Falls can be due to wet floors, uneven walking surfaces, shabby carpet, dust on the floor, uneven floor tiles, stairs with no handrails, muddy shoes, a cluttered floor, a broken ladder, and wet leaves. Accidents can be prevented by creating a safe working environment:
• Practice good housekeeping in the workplace.
- It is essential to practice good housekeeping at work. If all materials, tools and equipment are well-organized, it’s easier to work and will reduce the occurrence of accidents. Business owners should maintain an effective housekeeping program. This can be accomplished by planning the work to be done, assigning a person-in-charge, and implementing the housekeeping program.
• Implement safe work practices.
- Encourage a positive attitude toward health and safety. Take an initiative to pick-up an object obstructing the hallway. Avoid rushing or using mobile phones while walking to prevent slips or trips.
• Maintain cleanliness and orderliness.
- Organize the workstation by storing all office supplies, tools and other materials properly. Keep the workplace neat and clean.
• Ensure that the equipment is regularly maintained
- Make sure to check-up and fix the equipment regularly.
• Clear out walkways, stairs, hallways or aisles.
- Ensure that entranceways, corridors and walkways are free from obstacles that may cause slips and trips. Remove any clutter on the floor or passageways such as cables, cords, and other objects that can cause any obstruction.
• Clean up spillages and slippery surfaces.
- Clean spills on the floor immediately to avoid any accidents. Place proper area rugs at the entranceway, food preparation areas and other designated areas.
• Make sure that the work areas are well lit.
- Proper illumination along the staircases, hallways, ramps and any construction site should be used. Regularly check switches and fixtures. Always turn on the light when entering a dark area.
• Effective communication, training and supervision are essential in the workplace.
- Inform the purchasing department on the appropriate materials and equipment needed for the job. It is necessary to provide proper training and supervision to make sure that the company adheres to the health and safety policy of the UK.
Prevention of Slips, Trips and Falls plays an important role in avoiding injuries at work. This will not just save time, energy and money but also any inconvenience that may occur in the workplace.