Road Traffic Accidents And Brain Injury

Our brain is the most important organ in the whole body. Its damage can have serious consequences and significantly affect your everyday life. Injuries to the head are most often caused by road traffic accidents. Drivers, passengers and pedestrians are all vulnerable to suffering brain injuries following road traffic accidents.

Despite many national campaigns and implementing numerous preventive methods, road traffic accidents still take place in the UK every single day. As a result hundreds of people die or are seriously injured. In a car accident the severe airbag impact and whiplash movement can cause injuries to the brain and head. However, it is important to note that you do not have to be traveling very fast to get a head injury. Even at moderate rates of speed, traumatic brain injuries can and do occur.

Cyclists tend to suffer more head injuries in road accidents due to having less protection. Last year the police reported that 2,660 people were seriously injured in cycling accidents. The figure excludes cycling accidents that occur away from the road. Consequently, there could be many more cyclists with serious head and brain injuries. About one fifth of the cyclists killed and injured are children.

Cycling accidents increase as children grow older, with 10 to 15 year old riders being more at risk than other age groups. Head injuries after a road accident should always be treated in hospital. The medical staff will be able to observe the condition for any changes, run tests to check for further damage and treat any other injuries. Around 97% of patients are able to go home after 48 hours. However, the other 1-3% of the people admitted to hospital due to a head injury could develop a serious complication that may require surgery.

If you were involved in a road traffic accident, which was not your fault, and you suffered from a serious head injury you may be able to seek compensation. In order to make a successful claim for compensation you will have to prove that someone else's negligence or breach of duty caused the collision. Sometimes it is straightforward, for instance if a driver did not stop on a red light or emerged from a junction without looking. Nevertheless, many road traffic accident cases can be much more complex. Multiple vehicles may be involved, drivers may be uninsured or vehicles may have faults meaning employers, manufacturers or owners can be included in the claim.

Consequently, it might be rather difficult to make a brain injury compensation claim. However, there are specialist lawyers out there who will be able to offer you professional legal advice and help you receive compensation. Your claim will need to be handled by a brain injury solicitor.

Their extensive knowledge in this area of personal injury claims significantly increases your chances of winning the case. If successful, brain injury compensation can cover the expenses of rehabilitation, treatment and equipment needed to recover or cope with an injury as well as compensate for your pain and suffering. If you approach a specialised brain injury law firm, they may be able to assist you with more than just your injury compensation claim. It might be possible to receive also financial assistance, brain injury rehabilitation, private nursing, or a wheelchair, to name a few.

An avid writer with over thirty years of experience and knowledge in the compensation and brain injury field. Having worked on a multitude of serious injury cases, David has dealt with a variety of brain injury issues and can provide an abundance of knowledge on the most complex topics. Please visit http://www.sbilaw.co.uk/ for further information.


Comments

Sign in to comment