Is it safe for SMEs to walk down the PBX VOIP pathway?

The collaboration of the SMEs with the latest business phone channel is a challenging question to answer. This business integration seems to intensify the communication benefits of the system. The question why over 70% of the small and medium enterprises are entering into a communion with the cloud telephony backs the answer to the previous question. It is usually considered that most of the business organizations are making the switch due to monetary factors. The figures speak for Hosted PBX VOIP adoption.

Starting from the analysis of this system since 2008, it has been estimated that the overall usage of PBX VOIP grew by 33% over the previous years. The fixed telephony is giving up its way with around 26% of the people in USA using landline phones in 2012 while the rest 74% using the PBX technology. This technology is further subdivided into the in-house and hosted technology. The in-house is primarily maintained by the large business corporations since the infrastructure costs are quite hefty and the operational expenses add up to an increased value that is not affordable by the small business firms.

The VOIP technology clubbed with the economy oriented Hosted PBX services provides the following benefits:

Ø  Strengthened business integration channeled through an interactive pathway

Ø  Intensified business relations with clients, suppliers  and partners

Ø  Spreading of extensive network contacts

Ø  Economic means to call and interact with customers spread all over the globe

Ø  Integration with affordable and promotional features for business interaction

Ø  Utmost flexibility in terms of space, functionality and services offered

Ø  Energy efficient since the power consumption is less

The SMEs are walking down the communication pathway with Hosted PBX systems but the issues of security and reliability always crop up. Since the telephony is internet based, the issue of loss of data integrity and lack of business security will always be one major factor of concern. Hosted PBX VOIP is a safe path to move on. These systems are equipped with a good number of algorithms that make it almost impossible for hackers, crackers and eavesdroppers to disturb the private network of your business functionality.

The major attacks include Denial of Service, Buffer Overflow attack, Invalid Protocol fields, Attacks using bad patterns in the string fields, etc. The protection strategies that the Small Business PBX includes are mainly Length checks and TPKT Validation, Field Message Validation, Information Elements Validation, Setup Message Validation, Address Checks, Pattern schedules, etc. The major role is played by the H.225 protocol that is responsible for establishing and terminating the connection between the endpoints. It is the implementation of this protocol that makes the PBX VOIP channel vulnerable to attacks and threats. The inbuilt signatures and IPS engine makes it difficult to break through the system.

Small and medium scale enterprises are thus safe to walk down the internet telephony pathway. A major fraction of the market players are making the switch and they have seen considerable success. The adoption of PBX system in the upcoming small offices and home offices is expected to rise on an average of 15% per year.



Comments

Sign in to comment