A positive attitude can do wonders for your self esteem, as well as your career and love life. While many people have been brought up into negative environments, there's many ways that you can escape those negative thoughts and build a more positive outlook, thus creating a more positive attitude.
Being positive doesn't have to be forced, and it doesn't mean that you need to be arrogant. What it means is that you've become a positive person, someone who believes that good things will happen. Someone who can deal with negative situations in a positive manner, knowing there's always a way to get past that negativity.
Sure, death is one situation that's tough to stay positive for, but I'm not necessarily saying that you have to smile and laugh at the funeral. In fact, this is the reason that you should live a positive life, because one day someone will speak about you and wouldn't you want them smiling and having a good time remembering all of the great things you did during your lifetime?
Your attitude can make people like you or despise you. Some of you may say "I really don't care what anyone thinks about me." Well, we all know that's not true. In fact, humans have the natural instinct to want to be accepted. It's natural, don't fight it. But you should always remember that you don't have to be accepted by everyone. You don't have to feel down because the cool kid/guy/girl doesn't want to hang out with you during lunch, either. But what I can promise you is that a positive person attracts more people than a negative person. A positive person can light up a room, whereas a negative person can take a situation from normal to dark in 3.4 seconds. Who really wants to be around that? The world may come to an end, but do we have to hear about it on little Johnny's birthday? Are ALL people really that bad?
Seriously, you and I both know that you don't want to be that person, right? If so, then you're probably a lost cause that doesn't want to feel better about themselves. That's OK, "as long as you're happy..." (yes, that was sarcasm).
Developing a positive attitude requires long-term goals and long-term consistency. You have to pick yourself back up and get back on course if you fall off. We all get angry, we all have situations that cause us to think negatively. This shouldn't cause you to lose more minutes of your small lifetime because you "think" you should be angry and you "think" that the person who upset you should know how angry you are. What is the point? Does it make you feel better? Of course not.
Starting from the moment you wake up you will need to remind yourself how much you love your life, rain or shine. Ran out of coffee? No worries, there's a store 4 miles out of your way to work, so you can fight the traffic a little more or just wait. Being negative over coffee isn't OK, I don't care how much you tell yourself you "need it" in the morning. That's nonsense, just like a drug addict doesn't "need" another hit, or an alcoholic doesn't need another drink.
Everything from the time you wake up should be as positive as you can make it. Remind yourself how happy you are to see your husband, wife, friend, dog, cat, tree, grass, annoying neighbor, etc. -- it doesn't matter, you should always be reminding yourself about how GREAT the world is, even when you're in traffic after a bad day of work. Think about it like this -- if you're in traffic for 2 hours, what good does it do to get angry about it? Is that going to change the traffic? Is your yelling going to make the 145 cars in front of you magically disappear? Of course not.
Having a stressful day? That's OK, you should realize that it will get better, even if it doesn't. There's usually never a "perfect day." For every bad thing that happens, you have to let it go. You have to. If you don't it will cause a negative memory, which adds to a negative attitude.
That's right... attitude can be created by memory. You can have a positive memory about a situation or a negative memory. Think about that time you went to that place. It took you 45 minutes to get there, you got mad about the traffic, but you had the best day you've had in years. Would you really remember that terrible drive? Most likely not, because that memory is mostly positive, which helps to erase the negative stuff.
A bad day can cause a lot of negativity, but what really makes a bad day? The boss is yelling at you for 5 minutes? So out of 24 hours in that day are you willing to disregard 23:55 of that day to let your Boss (most likely a negative person since he's yelling) to ruin that entire day? That's not good. You should probably look into a new career then. Or simply adjust your mind to not allow that 5 minutes to destroy the entire day.
Here's some tips to develop a more positive attitude:
- Write/Record positive affirmations. Yes, it sounds so corny, but only you have to know.
- Stop listening to negative music. Yes, many styles of music can put you into a bad mood, causing you to be negative. Hip Hop and Rock is mostly a bunch of upset individuals who get paid to tell the world how upset they are, over good music. Sad, but true.
- Same goes for TV and Movies. TV and Movies can cause a lot of negative thinking as well, so be careful of what you watch.
- Listen to Motivational CD's, tracks, whatever you want to call them. You may found them annoying or embarrassing. Yeah, those people who will make fun of you for trying to better yourself? You should probably re-think your relationship with them.
- Keep telling yourself how great things are, even if they're not. The problem with most people is that they know when something is not good, but they seem to be reminded by the news, people they're with, things they read, etc. Reverse that. Fight the urge to be SUPER negative!
- Hang out with people who are not so negative. Let people you're with know that you're trying to be more positve. If they make fun of you or try to destroy your efforts, you should know what I'm going to say already... there's other people who won't.
- Eat healthier. A healthy body makes a healthy mind and it also makes you happier. A happier person is more positive.
- Workout. Same as above!
There's no reason that you have to become a negative, miserable person. This life is available to use for anyone who really wants to use it wisely. There's no need to think negatively about everything. Don't let yourself become the person you get tired of hearing talk so negatively.