When the human body goes above its normal body temperature, it automatically starts functioning to cool down, in this process certain enzymes and chemicals are also produced in the body, these chemicals and enzymes can prove to be helpful in curing infections and reducing pain.
In the sauna or steam room, when the body is subjected to the heat it replicates fever like conditions and starts the process of trying to combat this ‘phantom’ fever by producing antibodies, more blood cells which in turn strengthens the immune system and makes the user more healthy, which is why doctors highly recommend taking a steam sauna.
Years of research has proved that fever has the ability to trigger many functions in the body that, strangely enough are good for it. Some of the functions are given below:
- It increases the production or growth of the T-cells (a type of white blood cells) and in the mobility of the white blood cells.
- It also enhances the activity of interferon, these are proteins made by the host cells to fight against threats like bacteria etc.
- It also helps in decreasing the effects of endotoxins.
Fevers or more the act of fending off a fever is actually good for the human body, battling a fever is a method that is adapted by the human body to kill the virus/bacteria by heat and the more the body does this, the better it become at doing it and makes the immune system stronger and better adapted.
There are also other benefits of heating the human body besides the improved function of the immune system; some of them are given below:
- The heart rate increases due to increased body temperature, due to this, blood flows a lot better to capillaries that are near to the skin.
- The production of white blood cells is increased, which is really good for health and plays a vital role in fighting against dangerous viruses and aids in the recovery and treatment of major conditions such as cancer or heart and respiratory conditions.
- Microbes are disabled and killed.
- The metabolic rate increases.
- The muscles are relaxed and soothed.
- The enzyme production also increases.
- Pain in muscles, joints and nerves decreases or in some cases it is totally eliminated.
- Diseases are reduced or finished.
- Sweating for the additional heat flushes out toxins from the body and also burns a large amount of calories
- Sweating cleans the skins pores