Let's face it, most people who hear the word "diet" are thinking of fad diets, such as Atkins, South Beach, etc. -- these aren't really considered a diet, but rather a temporary habit that will hopefully help you lose weight quickly. Unfortunately, they're not that appealing to most people. Americans love their carbs. That's the reason McDonald's, Coca Cola and just about every ice cream manufacturer makes so much money.
In general, Americans are fat and we seem to be OK with it. But we shouldn't be. Our health could be far better if we simply ate a healthier diet, consisting of more veggies, lean meats and lower carbs, along with the right types of fat.
It sounds complicated to most people, but this is where Precision Nutrition really changes things. The "system" is literally a way of life, as it breaks it down into a simple way of eating your meals and getting the proper amount of nutrition in each meal. It helps explain everything in laymen's terms.
With Precision Nutrition, you're given a simple breakdown of the good and bad, what you're allowed to eat and what you should try to stay away from. The thing is, you don't have to eat special food or buy a bunch of boxed up food from the manufacturer of the diet. You actually get a cookbook with really great recipes that you and your family will love. You can find everything you need at your grocery store, just like any other meal you'd prepare.
But don't get me wrong, you don't need to be a gourmet chef to cook this stuff. You simply need to follow the directions, just like I do, and you'll get some great tasting food. There's a lot of really great tasting recipes in the cookbook, including desserts! You'd be surprised by what you're allowed to eat, and it's not as strict as you might think.
Precision Nutrition actually allows you to get a break on 10% of your meals. One of the rules is that you eat on target for at least 90% of your meals and the rest you can "cheat" a bit. This doesn't mean that you should go buy a gallon of ice cream and chow down for 1 meal, but it does mean that you're allowed to break away a bit here and there, which is what makes the "diet" so great.
The cool thing about the PN System is that you get some great tasting shakes that taste like you're cheating on your diet, yet they're actually a great part of your diet, as they're full of nutrition and healthy fats. I have been eating/drinking these shakes for approximately 5.5 years now and I'm still loving them! You can also mix them up a bit as well.
Also, you'll get full access to the forums, which are full of other great stories, recipes, tips and advice to help you get the most out of the system. After taking a 6 month break from eating right, I've decided to step back into the way of life that gave me more happiness and control of my weight. I somehow slipped into bad habits after working long hours and found that fast food was so much easier, although it's not. Also, it started to add up quite a bit, too. I realized that I was spending approximately 30% more on meals each month compared to what I was spending on meals that I cooked at home from the precision nutrition cookbook.
It's amazing how easy you'll find life getting when you realize that all you need to do is follow a few basic rules each day you eat and you'll be burning off calories and fat super fast. There's not an easier way to lose weight without side effects, trust me.
I've done a lot of crazy things to burn fat, but this system is by far the easiest.
What I suggest for anyone that wants to try out precision nutrition:
1. Purchase the product and start getting active each day. This will help you get started while you wait for the product to arrive. If you have a treadmill - wake up each morning and start walking for a few minutes. Life some light weights and grab yourself a quick protein shake. Getting moving in the morning will help you prepare yourself mentally and physically for when you start your program. It will also get you encouraged, too!
2. Check out Vitacost.com and get some of the following supplements to help you: Fish Oil (Mega EFA is a great choice), Greens Plus (Original Superfood) and some Flaxseed (Cold-milled in gold bag). These are the basics of what you will need on a daily basis to get started with. Of course, you can add whatever you want as well.
3. Go into this program with a positive attitude and remind yourself that you're doing it for a good reason. Sure, you're not going to get that tasty, oily, greasy, heart diseased filled fast food junk, but what you are going to get is great tasting, all-natural, unprocessed food. You're going to watch your waist shrink, your muscles grow and smile get brighter. Seriously, this program will definitely make you happier.
4. Workout at least 3-4 times a week. You want to get more active and allow the new diet to benefit you on many levels, one being muscle development. Working out with weights (start slow and light, it's not a sprint!) will ensure that you get the most out of the foods you're eating. You'll burn more fat and calories and build more muscle, which will help to naturally burn more calories.
5. Stop drinking anything other than water. Stop eating all of those carbs, especially sugar! It's foolish to think that you'll lose weight even after drinking beer, soda or anything else not called water. As the saying goes: Abs are made in the kitchen. Not in the weight room/gym! You can't eat junk and expect to lose fat and get a 6 pack. It's not going to happen, trust me.
I can't think of another program that has benefited so many people worldwide, although the system is actually super simple to follow.
Another suggestion is that you should always go through the manual, even after you're already seeing results. Remind yourself of the rules and make sure that you're fully understanding everything. Plus, it's a great way to keep momentum going. It's a new way of life and you should remind yourself constantly of what you're trying to achieve.
There's a great support forum that I highly suggest you spend a few hours a month reading through, especially in the first few months. You'll see some great results from people who are coming to the program just like yourself. You will get great support if you join in and keep a journal. You'll also find some great tips and advice on supplements and even workouts to do while you're getting into the rythm of things.
If you have any questions, suggestions or tips - please post them below!