Garbhakranti Pregnancy Yoga
How does Yoga help me in pregnancy?
- With yoga, I can combat stress & anxiety during pregnancy.
- Yoga helps me gain victory over my mind and attitude and gain a healthy body.
- During pregnancy, physical as well as mental fitness is required, with which I can bear the strain of pregnancy and delivery.
- The good thing is that, Yoga is concerned with mental health as well as physical health.
- If my heart, lungs and muscles are in good condition, If I know correct breathing techniques , if I am mentally and physically relaxed , my dream baby will grow well , I will have a much easier and safer delivery and hence much faster recovery . Yoga will help me in this.
- Yoga helps me condition the specific areas and group of muscles needed for a healthy pregnancy & delivery.
- Yoga strengthens my body so that my dream baby grows well.
- During pregnancy, unique changes take place as the uterus [body organ where my dream baby resides for nine months of pregnancy] expands to about twenty times its usual size.
- Due to this, there is upwards and backwards displacement of my bowel loops. This leads to a feeling of heaviness of body.
- Fear factor and some apprehensions make the mind stressful during pregnancy.
- To combat all these situations, Ayurveda has given a key to success for pregnant women called Yoga.
Yogasana are one of the parts of Yoga:
- Brahma Muhurta is the best time for meditation or Yogasana or doing work.
- The mind is fresh after a good night’s sleep, the atmosphere as well as the mind are serene & pure.
- There is Satva Guna inside the person as well as in the atmosphere.
- The best time to do Yogasana & meditation is Brahma Muhurta but if it is not possible then it should be done in the morninghours / evening hours.
- I should get up early in the morning & if possible before sunrise.
- Only if it is not possible to do Yogasana in the morning, then they can be done in the evening.
- Yogasana should always be done on an empty stomach.
- After getting up in the morning, first basic cleansing of the body like defecation [ passing stools ] , urination etc should be done.
- After that, I will brush my teeth.
- Then I will take bath with warm water.
- After bath, I will pray to Almighty.
- Yogasana should preferably be done after Pranayama .
- I should put a carpet on the floor to do Yogasana.
- Yogasana should not be done sitting directly on the floor.
- There should be a time gap of minimum 4 hours after eating to do Yogasana.
- Generally 4 hours is the time taken for stomach emptying hence this time should be minimum 4 hours.
- I should not eat/ drink water while doing Yogasana.
Attire / clothes during Yogasana:
- The attire/ dress used while doing Yogasana should be loose & comfortable.
- The attire / dress should not be skin fit/ tight fitting.
Place of Yogasana:
- The place should be calm & quite as far as possible.
- If it is not possible to have a calm & quite place, then that should not stop one from doing Yogasana / meditation.
- Yogasana/ meditation themselves give calmness to body & mind.
Ambience for Yogasana & meditation:
- Incense sticks [Dhoop] should be used to create a pleasant atmosphere.
- Lamp of Cow`s ghee [Goghruta] should be lighted at the place to cleanse the atmosphere. Lamp should be kept at a safe place.
Time duration of Yogasana:
- A pregnant woman is like a vessel of oil full to the brim.
- Just as a vessel needs to be taken with absolute care with careful handling; similarly I should carry myself from one place to another with utmost care; hence I should not strain myself while doing Yogasana during pregnancy.
- It is OK even if I do not get the ideal recommended posture of Yogasana & I should not strain unnecessarily to get the same.
- The time duration of each Yogasana should be increased very gradually which should be comfortable to me and my dream baby.
- Only the following recommended Yogasana should be followed as all Yogasana are not recommended during pregnancy.
- I can count the duration of each Yogasana by counting numbers and increase gradually.
- As my dream baby is growing, in the later stages of pregnancy, I may feel tired while doing Yogasana & Pranayama .
- When I get tired , I should take rest.
- I should never lie on my tummy while doing Yogasana.
- Medical advice of my gynaecologist should always be taken before starting Yogasana.
The Yogasana which should be practiced during pregnancy are :
It is advisable to practice only the above Yogasana during pregnancy.
Vajrasana in pregnancy:
- Vajra means iron or strong.
- Vajrasan helps me become strong like iron.
How do I do Vajrasana?
- I will sit straight in a kneeling position.
- I will slip my toes to join at the back.
- My heels will be apart.
- I will place my buttocks in the cavity thus formed.
- My thighs should be together.
- I will rest my both hands on my knees.
- I will take in deep breath slowly [ inhalation ] and take out deep breath slowly [ exhalation ]
- I will remain in this position for as much time as I am comfortable.
- I will not strain myself to do this and will go on increasing the duration everyday slowly, steadily and regularly.
How does Vajrasana help me during Pregnancy?
- Vajrasana strengthens my back [spine], legs & thighs to bear extra pelvic weight due to my dream baby’s weight & my weight gain in pregnancy.
- Vajrasana will help me in having normal delivery.
- Vajrasana also helps me to prevent backache.
- Vajrasana helps in my normal bowel movements & helps in avoiding constipation.
- Vajrasana can be my sitting position after lunch as well as dinner [ at home ] instead of sitting in chair.
- Vajrasana helps in digestion.
Parvatasana in pregnancy:
- Parvata means mountain.
How do I do Parvatasana?
- I will sit in Vajrasana.
- Taking deep breath slowly, I will raise my both hands stretching upwards & lock my fingers.
- I will hold my breath for a moment.
- I will breathe out slowly [exhale] & relax to normal.
- I will do this for as much time as I am comfortable without straining.
- How does Parvatasana help me?
- Parvatasana helps to relieve backache.
- Parvatasana strengthens my chest muscles.
- Parvatasana provides more oxygenated blood to my body and hence to my dream baby which is essential during pregnancy.
Utkatasana in pregnancy:
How do I do Utkatasana?
- I will stand erect keeping feet parallel.
- I will raise both hands parallel keeping palms down facing to floor.
- Simultaneously I will take breath slowly.
- I will try to sit in squatting position in a standing position only.
- Simultaneously I will take breath out slowly [exhale].
- I will do this Asana for as much time as I am comfortable without straining myself.
How does Utkatasana help me?
- Utkatasana strengthens my pelvic and thigh muscles to combat extra weight gain in pregnancy.
- Utkatasana helps in preventing low backache.
- Utkatasana helps in normal delivery.
Shavasana in pregnancy:
How do I do Shavasana?
- Facing upwards, I will lie down on the back & close my eyes.
- I will keep both legs and hands apart at a moderate distance.
- I will relax every part of my body.
- I will relax my body completely starting from toes of feet and taking my mind to each part of mind.
- I will give the message to my mind that …
- Now my feet are relaxing.
- Now my hands are relaxing.
- Similarly, I will give this message to each and every part of my body.
- I will give these messages starting from toes till I reach head.
- I will consciously try to remove all the thoughts from my mind and relax my mind by emptying it.
- I will maintain this position at least for ten minutes taking a slow & deep breath.
How does Shavasana help me?
- 10 minutes of Shavasana everyday is a great relaxant.
- Shavasana relaxes my body.
- Shavasana relieves my mental stress.
- Shavasana preserves my positive attitude & my confidence, helps to provide more oxygen to my body.
- Shavasana helps me in a healthy pregnancy, normal delivery and helps in good growth of my dream baby.
Fore more information visit Us: http://mydreambaby.in/yogasana/